Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
AT&T Aspire Mobile App Hackathon Education - Los Angeles
Friday, February 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM - Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM (PST)
Santa Monica, United States
Have an app idea or need an app built for your business?
This very special Mobile App Hackathon, focused on education, is an event produced by the AT&T Developer Program, in coordination with Real Office Centers and AT&T Aspire, designed for attendees (technical & non-technical) to build apps/mobile apps that disrupt education, get fed, compete for prizes across different categories and most importantly: meet new people and scout for teammates to work on new or current projects. Our hackathon will introduce you to the latest cutting edge tools to help deploy your own app with a website backend, fully hosted in the cloud.
In addition to our hackathon Apigee will be offering a free training session on mobile app development. There will be 2 different sessions of 3 hours each: an introduction on how to build applications from scratch using technologies like HTML5, PhoneGap and jQuery Mobile; and an advanced sction on how to build social, local or game features into your app with a Backend-as-a-Service (BaaS). All training will be free, but advanced registration is required. You can see full details and sign up for the training at: http://bit.ly/apptutor
We Supply: Quick presentations and code samples that help to bootstrap your hacking, food to keep you going, and caffeine to keep you awake. Along with technical senseis to assist you in building faster, smarter, and with new tools.
You Bring: Your laptop, skills & ideas. Come with a collaborative, team focused mindset and/or team up in advance on Twitter/Facebook/Google+ via the #atthack hashtag. Whether you are a backend person and code in Ruby/PHP/.NET or are a designer and only work with Illustrator, you are invited to attend this event. Every group needs a good balance of talent and your development skills are needed!
Event Schedule. The following is a list of the weekends agenda:
- Friday - February 8th
- 6PM - Friday Evening - Kickoff event with drinks, networking, and developer dating which leads into idea pitches and team formation.
- 7PM - Friday Evening - Speakers present (please see below for list)
- 8PM - Friday Evening - Pitch ideas and form teams
- Saturday - February 9th
- 10AM - Saturday Morning - The fun continues with an all day hackathon. Work with the teams that you formed on Friday night to produce the app spec’d out the night before. Senseis will be available throughout the entire event to help you code up your solution. App submissions will be accepted throughout the day with a deadline of 7PM.
- 7PM - Saturday Evening - Promptly at 7PM, teams will begin pitching their ventures. Pitches are limited to three (3) minutes per team
Prizes. The following prizes are experiential and geared towards accelerating you towards a successful business as well as expanding your network and industry knowledge:
- Best Hackathon Education App
- 1st Place
- $500 in Gift Cards for the team to split
- $5,000 donated from AT&T to the team's choice of non-profit organizations**
- 2nd Place
- $300 in Gift Cards for the team to split
- $3,000 donated from AT&T to the team's choice of non-profit organizations**
- 3rd Place
- $200 in Gift Cards for the team to split
- $1,000 donated from AT&T to the team's choice of non-profit organizations**
- Best App using AT&T APIs (Click for more info)
- $500 in Gift Cards for the team to split and entire team seeded with Sierra Wireless 4G LTE Devices and one (1) month of 1GB DataConnect Service (Max 3) [compliments of Sierra Wireless]
- Best App using Pearson APIs
- $300 in Gift Cards for the team to split
Judging Criteria. Apps will be judged based on the criteria below and weighted accordingly.
- 33% Weight - Ability to clearly articulate what your app does
- 33% Weight - Originality of idea
- 33% Weight - Functional mobile app (In simulator demo OK)
- Follow us @hackathonlive for live updates and photos from the event
- "Like" us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/AttMobileAppHackathon
|Alex Donn, Senior Marketing Manager at AT&T, is based out of sunny Seattle! His passion is educating developers young and old about mobile application development best practices through events like hackathons that fuse the collective interests of multiple technology and business leaders. He loves bacon and is allergic to all types of gluten.||Lucien Vattel, GameDesk’s CEO, is the senior scholar and driving leadership for the Institute. His historical expertise in design, learning, and computational sciences has focused on transformative new school models, simulation and game learning, and digital curriculum development for at-risk populations.|
M. Alex O. Vasilescu, PhD is an Associate Director at UCLA Computer Graphics and Vision Lab. Her face recognition research, known as TensorFaces, has been funded by the TSWG, the Department of Defense’s Combating Terrorism Support Program. Her work was featured on the cover of Computer World, and in articles in the New York Times, Washington Times, etc. MIT’s Technology Review Magazine named her to their TR100 List of Top 100 Young Innovators.
Greg Cohn is Co-founder and CEO of Ad Hoc Labs the makers of Burner. Prior to Ad Hoc Labs, Greg led strategy and business development for social and developer platforms at Yahoo!, where he worked on identity (OpenID, oAuth), Yahoo's Brickhouse incubator, and partnerships with Facebook, Google, Twitter, Zynga, and other industry leaders. Before Yahoo!, Greg was a founder or key executive at several startups, including Away.com (sold to Orbitz) and Everyday Health. He began his career in book publishing and holds degrees from Penn and Oxford.
|Gregg Alpert, West Coast Developer Relations Manager at Pearson, is working to progress technology use in education in an effort to improve learning outcomes. Gregg is passionate about education reform, technology, and business and believes many of the major issues in education can be improved through innovative technologies. He has an MBA with a focus in entrepreneurship and finance.|